Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sacramento Heat

Fourteenth day of the eighth month of 2008 at around five after two in the after noon, my Firefox weather extension is showing 'Sunny, 94 degree F'.

I just came back from a 20 minute walk around a few blocks in downtown Sacramento, and it sure feels like 100+ degrees outside. Little bit outside my comfort level. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE sun and am big fan of sunny hikes in humid climate, but it sure is uncomfortable in office khaki's, tucked in shirt and leather shoes.

This year we have been saved by the wrath of Sacramento heat though. I don't remember any other day this summer being 'really really hot' (read: 110+); coz it does get really scorching. I remember a couple of days from last summer and the one before - my Mitsubishi's thermometer was showing 124 F on the freeway and both me and Ruchi were damned by the sight of it. Lucky for us, the AC of the V6 3.1L engined was chugging along pretty well.

Its amazing to see early morning also. Like today at 5.30 am it was much darker as it was almost 2 months ago; but it was also much warmer than 2 months ago. Days are getting shorter as we are well into later half of august, but the heat sure seems going the wrong way.

Fall semester for Ruchi starts last week of September - I sure am waiting for some 'fall' like weather and some rain FALL.

I loved the dilbert strip today :) [I know, I know totally off topic]
( http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2008-08-14/ )

1 comment:

Ruchi said...

Talking about rains, I have totally forgotten what rainfall looks like..lol!! Dont remember when I last saw rains in Sacramento. I never knew Sacramento was among the top 10 sunniest cities in US until a few days back. Unlike Shavi, I hate to be in sun - cant stand the heat!! (and cant stand/sit in the heat - lol).
And yes, not to mention the fires in California due to the dry, hot season. Couple of weeks back, the air was all covered with smog (smoke) even though there was no major fire in the Sacramento area. 'They' say the satelites could see smoke even from space - there were around 1000+ uncontrollable fires burning in California!!! Aint that amazing?!! Am sure Shavi is happy - atleast he is away from the HOT and HUMID weather in our India which he hates:-)